Depakine Chrono 500 mg 30 Tablets
An anticonvulsant agent that acts by potentiating the inhibitory action of GABA through further synthesis of GABA or reduced metabolism of GABA and blockage of voltage-dependant sodium channels.
• Mono-therapy or adjunctive therapy multiple seizure types.
• Migraine prophylaxis.
• Diabetic neuropathy.
Points of interest:
• Swallow the tablet as a whole, do not crush or chew.
• This medication may cause drowsiness and dizziness, do not drive or operate machinery until you know how it affects you.
• Do not stop this medication before asking your doctor.
• This medication may increase your appetite; you may need to pay more attention to your diet to avoid weight gain.
• Tell your doctor immediately if you develop rash, fever, abdominal pain and unexpected bruising or bleeding.
How to use:
As per as direction of doctor.
• Gastrointestinal side effects.
• Thinning of scalp hair (usually temporary and grows back curly).
• Black boxed for risks of pancreatitis, hepatotoxicity, teratogenicity.
• Monitor liver function before therapy and during the first 6 months.
• Measure full blood count and ensure no undue potential for bleeding before starting and surgery.
• Avoid abrupt withdrawal; tampering down strategy must be followed.
• Consider vitamin D supplementation in patients that are immobilised for long periods or who have inadequate sun exposure.
• Lamotrigine: plasma concentration of lamotrigine is increased by valproate.
• Mefloquine: anticonvulsant effect of valproate is antagonized by mefloquine.
• Cimetidine: increased plasma concentration of valproate.
How to store:
Keep at room temperature.