Eltroxin 100 mcg 100 Tablets
A hydrated form of levothyroxine that is used to treat hypothyroidism. It is deiodinated in the tissues to form the Tri-iodothyronine which is believed to be active form of thyroid hormone.
• Non-toxic goiter.
• Hashimoto’s thyroditis.
How to store:
Keep at room temperature.
Points of interest:
• Absorption is influenced by presence of food.
• Take this medication on an empty stomach, preferably before breakfast.
• Tell your doctor if you develop palpitations, insomnia, sweating, excitability or weight loss.
How to use:
1 tablet in morning daily.
• Black boxed for using it for purpose of weight control or loss.
• Elderly and cardiovascular disorders due to risk of exaggeration of cardio-effects. Initiation of therapy should be the least dose available commercially and very tight up titration.
• Diabetes mellitus. Dose of anti-diabetic agents may need to be increased.
• Iron: Absorption of levothyroxine reduced by oral iron (give at least 2 hours apart).
• Colesevelam: absorption of levothyroxine reduced by colesevelam.
• Orlistat: the risk of hypothyroidism is possibly increased when levothyroxine is given with orlistat.